Is It Time To Seal Your Granite Worktops?
Generally, you should seal your granite worktops every year. But then again, keep in mind that there are different kinds of granite and that they each have various porosities. This basically means that your granite worktops may need to be sealed more often.
To find out if it’s time to re-seal your worktop, simply sprinkle some water onto the worktop surface and observe. If it beads up, then you don’t have anything to worry about. However, if the water soaks into the surface, then it’s time to reseal.
Sealing granite is pretty straightforward. Purchase a granite worktop cleaner, as well as a granite sealer that’s meant to resist oil-based stains and water, and don’t forget to prepare some clean rags too. Simply follow the cleaner’s directions and make sure your worktop is dry before you start sealing.
Be sure to work in small areas first, allowing the sealer to properly absorb before applying the second coat, and then move on to another area. It’s also important to follow the suggested amount of drying time before using the worktops.
In truth, some people are still in doubt about purchasing this awesome material because of the maintenance it requires. So before making any decision, it’s important to know its pros and cons first.
- Granite adds value to your home
- It’s easy to clean with mild detergent and warm water
- It’s formed by heat and pressure, so it can take the heat of your pan
- It’s also sanitary so bacterial contamination is not a problem with granite
- Granite is a high-quality, natural surface that has an almost luminous look
- It can actually crack when hit by a hard, sharp object
- It can be permanently stained if you seal it with a pre-existing stain
- Each slab of granite worktop is completely different, so it may not be a great choice if you prefer an entirely uniformed look
- Granite worktops definitely last forever so if you get tired of the colour, you’ll either rip out the entire counter or learn to live with it
Now that you’ve read about the pros and cons of granite worktops, you might want to consider carefully before buying it.
Bio: The Marble Store specializes in designing and manufacturing the finest quality worktops for their UK consumers. Over 16 years of experience in responding to the unique needs of the stone industry made them one of the grand producers of granite worktops in the country. Now, with the trust of most consumers, they are now able to produce different edge details and finishes that will make most homeowners fall in love with their creations.